Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Seen.

It feels appropriate that my birthday comes just after Christmas.
Although I've complained, griped and (I'm sure) told you how unfair it is to be overshadowed by the most important birthday of the year, this past birthday made complete sense.

I was speaking with Todd just before he and the family took off for Hilmar (the town of amazing cheese!) and I shared how I had, in recent years, decided to make birthdays important. I decided to have dinner with friends, have a party, anything, something that created space for me.
Todd shared back that it was a way for me to be seen, a place that was mine. It didn't surprise me that Todd would catch onto that as we'd shared family stories, but I was caught off guard just the same.

As I celebrated Christmas with my family, I continued to engage with this idea of sight.
What is it like to be seen?

Jesus in all his glory and mercy saw me.
He saw me before I was conceived and born, but He came down as a baby all the same.
He saw me for who I am, who I am still being created to be,
and he knew the crap, injustice, pain and hurt that would touch my life.
And because he is perfect, loving, amazing and whole,
he came down into imperfection and brokenness so that I would know perfect love
and day by day become whole.

And that's when having His birthday before mine no longer seemed to be quite as unfair, inconvenient or bothersome. It will continue to remind me of how loved and perfectly seen I truly am.






No comments:

Post a Comment