Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Joy Dare: January 21.


21. one thing in the sky, one thing from your memory, one thing that's ugly-beautiful

one thing in the sky: birds flying. The concept of 'freedom' is an important one to me. Reminding me that engaging with brokenness and pain is so that I might experience more complete healing in Jesus. Jesus' desire for me (for us) is to live in the freedom he offers. An image that has always represented this for me is a bird in flight. Birds flying through the air often remind me to strive to engage both in the joys and the disappointment so that I can see the freedom Jesus wants me to have.

one thing from your memory: doing 'info-mercials' with my sisters. Growing up with two older sisters, we'd watch a lot of television, and often, we'd emulate it. One thing we often did, was recreate infomercials or cooking shows. We had a huge vanity mirror in our bedroom, so we'd use that as the what the audience would see, and have great pitches and deals for what people should buy. I mean, you wouldn't really want to buy our half used body spray, but if you heard our jingles and pitches, you just might! :)

one thing that's ugly-beautiful: my neighborhood. My neighborhood is one of the most impoverished neighborhoods in Fresno, CA. However, despite the criminal activity, unkempt houses and front lawns, I see incredible beauty. Incredible beauty as I see children walk up and down the street playing and teaching each other what they've learned in school. As I hear guitars chords and voices being raised to Spanish songs, children laughing until they can't laugh anymore... life happens here. So yes, some would say that this neighborhood is falling apart, I'd like to say it's just coming together. May it be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment