Friday, October 19, 2012

Space to Talk, or Whatever

It's amazing how some folks are destined to be your 'go to' people. I hadn't seen Karl in months. Since June, at a Regional staff conference, sharing cups of coffee and talking our own unique accents to each other. I was beyond excited to see him, him being my compadre and all.

I spent time with Karl last week. We caught up regarding life and ministry, and in my case, grief. He asked me how I was doing, what had been helpful, and empathized when I mentioned I was lacking comfort in the form of physical touch.

Before we got to Sequoia Brewing Company, our conversation drifted between silence, awkward chuckles from me, and finally being able to verbalize my feelings and thoughts. From my world being flipped upside down, to now, when I have no idea how I'm doing. When we finally arrived at our dinner place, we talked Oakland A's, transitions, careers... it was a grand time to share, laugh, commiserate over the A's losing their amazing streak...

The thing is, I was incredibly blessed to have that space with Karl. Not just because we were able to catch up, but because he offered me space (silence or words) to share my heart. There wasn't a rush to get anywhere, to fill space, but freedom to process however was needed.

AND, being able to share beer, and fried pickles (seriously, SO DELICIOUS!) was a gift on what would have been a random Thursday night.


Jesus, thanks for time with friends that drift between a lot of words, silence, and everywhere in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment