It's my sister's birthday today, mmhmm. I like to tease her that she's pretty old, but my sister's legit, no harassment necessary.
I love my sister more than I thought was possible. After all, she's the girl who let me watch countless hours of television with her. Literally, countless. We know most lines of any given Friends episode, not to mention I Love Lucy.
My sister is who I gained most of my funniness from. No joke (haha, that wasn't supposed to be a pun), most of her pauses to make punch lines work... got it from her.
My sister taught me that being a modern day hippie is okay. It actually makes you pretty cool. She's taught me that it's okay to be you. To have your own style, and flaunt what you got. To wear that shirt that doesn't make sense to the rest of the world 'cause it's your favorite.
My sister taught me to love music. Acoustic folk, the love of my heart. She taught me to love and admire the greats along with the rest of my family. To belt out Ella Fitzgerald, the Mamas and the Papas, Bob Dylan...
I learned it's okay to be slightly crazy. You get to keep people on their toes, and it's just fun to be slightly off kilter. We've had random dance parties in the middle of grocery stores, while riding around town in her car, and belting out random songs to the benefit of those within earshot.
Most importantly, I've learned what it is like to have a soft heart, and a generous spirit from her. She is always the first to ask if I'm okay, if I need anything, and to offer anything she has if I'm in need. She has the most tender heart I know, being transparent to share her feelings and heartbreak. She gives out of what she has, she loves being able to surprise me with gifts (especially ones that make me smile and laugh), and I've learned that giving gifts is quite nice, actually.
Today marks 24 years of adventures together, she and I. She loves me fiercely, and I know it. She is one of the greatest sisters a girl could ask for, and I couldn't be more grateful.
Happy birthday, lady.
I celebrate who you are, what you've taught me, and the many crazy adventures to come.P.S. Can we watch that NOVA series on the Viking swords when I come home? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment