As I mentioned in a previous post, a group of us at church are engaging with each other over the podcasts over at Parenting ReImagined. My housemate, Carrie, was leading our discussion recently and she posed the question,
"What would you do?
What would you do if money weren't an issue, and you weren't afraid?
What would you chase?"
What would you chase?"
It's led me to a continued asking of myself, "What would I chase? What are the things I long to do?"
Story. I love stories. I love hearing people's stories, I love creating story. I love living a great story. If I had unlimited time in the world, I'd stop and hear people's stories. All the time. I'd ask Fred at the Legion of Valor about the Korean War, Ephiram about everything, Darrell the guy outside CVS questions, Alvaro how he started his business, Philip where he first played the saxophone, Kate about learning to be vulnerable on stage, Kim about finding love again, Daniel about culinary school, Jamin about memories building guitars...
Traveling. I'd travel more of the world. I'd expand my world view and my experience of God and spirituality by meeting new people, eating a lot, and seeing more of the world. I'd make friends everywhere and take my family to the favorite places there are. I'd hike to various places that have been untouched by 'civilization'.
Books. I'd read lots of books. More books than I currently have time for. I'd spend my days at my favorite coffee shop, drinking coffee and beer, reading, writing and talking about books. I'd learn from authors who became friends, and learn more about the world and those in it.
Dancing. I'd spend more time in a studio taking class, getting to know my body while nurturing my heart. My feet gracefully (or maybe not gracefully) skimming across the hardwood, beads of sweat making their way down my face, my feet learning steps while by body and soul tasted freedom.
Writing. If I were really unafraid, I'd write. I'd write about anything and everything. What I know, the questions I have... I'd write my family's story, I'd write my own. I'd write about my experience living dual cultures, in two worlds with completely different expectations. It's been my dream to string words together since middle school, having had that dream shot down time and time again... the fear is deep and strong. Like the ocean.
Dancing. I'd spend more time in a studio taking class, getting to know my body while nurturing my heart. My feet gracefully (or maybe not gracefully) skimming across the hardwood, beads of sweat making their way down my face, my feet learning steps while by body and soul tasted freedom.
Writing. If I were really unafraid, I'd write. I'd write about anything and everything. What I know, the questions I have... I'd write my family's story, I'd write my own. I'd write about my experience living dual cultures, in two worlds with completely different expectations. It's been my dream to string words together since middle school, having had that dream shot down time and time again... the fear is deep and strong. Like the ocean.
What about you? What would you do if money weren't an issue and you weren't afraid?
No comments:
Post a Comment