Wednesday, May 22, 2013

"Thank you very much."

Conversations about race aren't easy for me. They're personal. I can't remember a day that I haven't thought about race.

That being said, a conversation about race with a friend ended with him saying, "Thank you very much." Not in a sarcastic, or hurried way, but in a genuine way. I was sort of floored. Conversations regarding race have ended with me being frustrated, angry, incredulous, and often on the verge of tears. I've felt misunderstood, unseen, and like I've had to defend my experience as a Mexican woman in this country.

That being said, I was incredibly grateful for the questions he asked me today. Questions of understanding, clarification, and a listening ear as to how our perspectives on culture and community vary.

I'm optimistic for our friendship. How we're leaning on each other to learn more about reconciliation, inner city community, and what it looks like to be faithful to Jesus as we wrestle with the hard stuff of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment