Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Beautiful.

My housemate left a cd (yes, those still exist) of the Bible being spoken in a Native American language. I was immediately touched because I love Native culture, but as I sat listening to it, I became uneasy. I wanted to love the words, sounds, and simply fall in love with the Word in this way. But as I sat there, I continued to want to understand. To see the glory of God reflected in that language.
It's incredibly difficult to call something beautiful which you don't understand.

It's not impossible to view different cultures as beautiful, but it requires a level of intentionality that does not come naturally to me. However, being Mexican and American, I am often explaining displacement... so I am grateful for an opportunity to experience dissonance, and to intentionally nurture friendships that will help me gain a further understanding of Native culture and (hopefully) some Navajo as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment