Monday, February 06, 2012

The Joy Dare: February 1-5.

[I have some ground I have to cover, so here it is in one swoop.]

1. a gift found at 11:30 am, at 2:30 pm, at 6:30 pm
at 11:30 am: finding Bryce and Cody making Valentine's Day cookies! And then they gave me one from the first batch!
at 2:30 pm: catching the city bus to get to the Fresno State campus.
at 6:30 pm: dinner with Mattie and Kasey. Amazing chicken!

2. 3 things overheard today
"your voice is almost musical, it sings when you hit it." (note: 'hit', as in, make your point). Mattie shared that a student said that about my talk on Wednesday. I never thought of hearing someone's speaking voice that way. And it was an incredible compliment, 'cause I was incredibly nervous speaking up front.
"this little outside part is beautiful, too." a woman said that as she walked out of Iron Bird on Thursday. She was talking about the patio area outside Iron Bird Lofts. I just found it incredible that she said it, almost like realizing that Downtown can be beautiful too.
(an appreciative smile from a stranger). i may not have heard this one, but I caught him smiling. It was nice to not be cat-called or hit on in any sense of the word, he was just looking at me and smiling. :)

3. 3 gifts found in writing.
hope. It's hard to find hope in everything I see, but there is hope in the words from a mom from Southern California who visits Peru with Compassion International, knowing that her eyes are being opened to the amazing stories and work that God is doing all over the world. It gives me hope to see the stories happening here and the wonder that is the rest of the world.
words that i couldn't find. Sometimes, writers write something that I completely resonate with. This happened with my friend, Becca, who wrote about transition. She put words to what I couldn't say, wasn't able to describe, eliciting an, "I'm right there with you, friend."
words of comfort. In songs, in books, in the Word, I find words that bring comfort. Whether it be promises of old, reminders of Truth, or just familiarity when everything seems new.

4. 3 gifts found when bent down
litte boy hugs. When I come home, I can pretty much always count on Bryce or Cody hugging me. It's wonderful. Reasons? One: they're cute. Two: I can pick them up and hug them. Three: Touch is my love language. Four: They're cute!
sparkles. I had to get on my hands and knees in order to find sparkles (read: anything sparkly) with Bryce. We searched the entire downstairs (minus the kitchen, where dinner was getting ready), and some of the upstairs. It's a gift 'cause you can't always stop everything to pick up something shiny! :)
my pen! While looking for sparkles, I found my long lost pen! It had been lost for two whole days. And although it's not a 'special' pen, it writes just the way I like pens to...so, it was important to find.

5. one gift stitched, one gift hammered, one woven
one gift stitched: my favorite green shirt. My friend, Kenny, gave me that shirt when I left Los Angeles and moved to Fresno. The sides and sleeves are stitched, of course.
one gift hammered: the ring on my right hand. I am sure that it was hammered into an almost perfect circle, and that the engravings took time. It reminds me of a new beginning, a new day, and infinite possibilities for each and every morning.
one woven: my blanket. It's currently draped across the back of my (beautiful) blue chair. It was woven by men or women from somewhere other than my city, and for that it is special It's made more and more special because it keeps me warm and simply because it's beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment