Wednesday, May 09, 2012

What Rest Looks Like.

I never thought that I'd need lessons in rest. That I'd need to actually figure out what rest looked like, what made me keep going when life is busy.
I always thought sleep was enough.
It's finally, now, at the end of a school year that I am learning how to rest my soul.
How to rest in a way that is life-giving, instead of just sleeping for 12 hours straight ('cause let's be honest, you just feel gross after sleeping that long).

Words.
It hadn't clicked before.
It had clicked that words are what I go to, that words are the way that I express who I am.
What I'm feeling.
But to be honest, it felt like work.
Work to process, write. Write something good.

But after having not picked up a pen for a month...after not reading a book for weeks...
I was able to sit down at a coffee shop, and write.
For hours.

Write about life, silliness, love, boys, friends, home.
I've been able to read more and more.
And for the first time in weeks...
I felt like more of myself.

The part of me that is light, laughs at stupid jokes, plays for hours with my two favorite kiddos...
I felt like me.

Words, go figure.

Now, I see words as my allies.
That which allows me to breathe in the deepest sort of way.
The way that I share who I am, without the pressure of having to share it necessarily.

More words will come on this blog and in my journal,
and I'm more and more excited about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment