There's something about this city that makes me feel more like myself.
Letting go of my own pretense.
Claiming my soul that is Mexicana.
Walking everywhere.
Maybe it's because of the connection to the land. We're a city that is definitely urban, but also incredibly aware of how much our livelihood is dependent on the soil, seeds, weather... I feel that in my bones, my great-grandfather traveling across the border to los estados unidos, as a bracero, a man hired to work the fields and be sent home to Mexico after a season. In my bones I feel my own connection to the land, to my heritage to the essence of who I am.
I also realize that I'm in a new season, where I am growing more and more into myself. When I am now comfortable in my own skin, when I realize that my voice is mine, unique to myself.
And I continue to ask the question, God, is this why you brought me here? To know and understand myself on a deeper level? To know You better and better, to offer my own gifts and talents to your people here?
No comments:
Post a Comment