Saturday, August 06, 2011

Deal Breaker.

It's interesting to notice the moments that seem to reflect the depth of your calling.

I had a moment today, when I was surprised by it.
My friend, Stacey, came up to visit with a co-worker, which was awesome. I've loved having friends and family come to say 'hi' and love on me. :)

However, as Stacey said she'd met her co-worker's friend, she said she might want to set me up. Whether Stacey was joking or being serious, is completely beside the point.

As I asked more about this guy, I learned that he's 'looking to get out'. He's looking to leave Fresno. Having grown up here, and probably seeing a lot of dysfunction and poverty, I can see that. But, still, it did something interesting inside of me. My slight interest in this boy dwindled as I learned that his love of the city, of this city, is not one where he'd like to remain.

And that made me wonder at how deep my level of commitment is already here, in Fresno. I have officially signed up for one year of inner-city living for the sake of the gospel in the context of the University.

I saw it coming, but it's a different story when your heart affirms that it'd like to stay awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment