I had to stop and think of my own father situation. To be honest, it bothers me that I have to continuously engage with the issue of fatherlessness and how it has impacted my life. Yet I praise God for giving me a deeper and fuller understanding of what I long for in a dad; and that everything I could possibly want he is able to give. And he will.
The image of a father who defends is a powerful one for me. Being able to go about my day and feeling protected, or being able to sleep peacefully 'cause he is always there. It's more comforting than I can say.
Whenever I am particularly overwhelmed or just need to be reminded of this truth, I am able to come back to a song by JJ Heller, "Keep You Safe". The lyrics are as follows:
Quiet your heart
It's just a dream
Go back to sleep
I'll be right here
I'll stay awake
As long as you need me
To slay all the dragons
And keep out the monsters
I'm watching over you
My love is a light
Driving away all of your fear
So don't be afraid
Remember I made a promise to keep you safe
You'll have your own battles to fight
When you are older
You'll find yourself frozen inside
But always remember
I'll stay awake
As long as you need me
To slay all the dragons
And keep out the monsters
I'm watching over you
My love is a light
Driving away all of your fear
So don't be afraid
Remember I made a promise to keep you safe
You'll have your own battles to fight
When you are older
You'll find yourself frozen inside
But always remember
If you feel alone facing the giants
And you don't know what to do
My love is a light
Driving away all of your fear
So don't be afraid
Remember I made a promise to keep you safe
And you don't know what to do
My love is a light
Driving away all of your fear
So don't be afraid
Remember I made a promise to keep you safe
No comments:
Post a Comment