Congratulations on graduating from UCLA! I've thought of you often this week, and prayed for great celebrations and transitions of your time as a student and as an influence in BCF (and outside of it). I am so proud of you! I am incredibly proud of the ways you've sacrificed, given of yourself, taken big risks, failed miserably, grieved, and let Jesus transform you.
I met you my Senior year in the dorms. You were awkward, eager, and I loved you since the beginning. I had a rooted sense of hope, dreams, and perseverance when it came to you. You were the reason I stayed in the dorms all four years.
As I got to know you, I realized just how rewarding ministry could be. You were teachable, encouraging, and frankly, a wave of refreshment to our souls. The 'old people' understood you were different, we knew there was something new brewing in you and on campus.
Things got difficult. Community hit a stride, and then hit conflict. Small groups grew, and diminished. We forgot our vision. We learned to lean on each other in the midst of need, crisis, and desire for more of Jesus. We learned that community was fought for, and in intentionality we found much joy.
As I've seen you succeed and fail in BCF, I've continued to pray and hope for you. I've continued to be faithful in choosing to believe God's words spoken over you, words of affirmation, love, and promise. I've seen and heard you sacrifice so that others might know the Jesus you've risked to follow. I've cried tears of joy in seeing dreams we once desired come to fruition.
There are many words I can say, but I'll say two: 'thanks' and 'go'. Thanks for the ways you've inspired the campus to see more than meets the eye, to share and listen vulnerably and for seeing those who would be forgotten. Thanks for being Jesus wherever you went.
Now, 'go'. Go out into the world and don't stop what you've been doing these past four (or five) years. Take what you've learned and take big risks for Jesus. You'll find yourself in places you never thought of, bridging people you might not expect, and loving Jesus all the more in the middle of all of it. I'll be honest, it isn't easy, but it's definitely worth it.
It's my pride and joy to see you go, may you be blessed as you've blessed those around you.
Much love,
Sol
No comments:
Post a Comment