Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Bare Your Soul.

Jon Foreman with BCF ladies- 2008, I believe.

I still remember the evening I saw and met Jon Foreman, lead singer of Switchfoot. A few friends and I were waiting outside the Alpha Gamma Omega Fraternity house, and I was too excited to utter very many words as we waited. I remember the buzz, the laughter, and the excitement, as the outdoor patio filled with more and more people.

And as Jon came outside with Keith Tutt, I became utterly silent. Yes, I was slightly starstruck, but I also felt awe for what Jon had accomplished in his acoustic solo albums: Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. Songs like "Southbound Train", "The Cure for the Pain" and "House of God, Forever" had allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of Jon's journey, and understand a little more about myself and passages in Scripture.

As Jon played, I remember thinking, He's letting us see straight into his soul, holding nothing back. It was the first time anyone had ever allowed me that privilege. And as I sat in that patio, I wanted the patio to be silent, for utter stillness, and for the fraternity house next door to cease making trash can bombs. I wanted the world to stop.

And as Jon played the song I requested, "The Cure for the Pain" I realized how precious the past couple hours had been, so I closed my eyes briefly to hold onto the moment for a later date. I silently sang along, and prayed that Jon knew what a gift he'd been to me that night.

Afterward, all I could do was shake the man's hand. I may have uttered a 'thank you', but I honestly can't remember. All I know is that I was incredibly aware of Jon baring his soul through song that night. And I had nothing to offer him in return. A true gift.

I've had a couple instances where I have glimpses of that same moment with Jon Foreman. Like watching Quest Crew in Royce Hall at UCLA, but I often wonder how often I give those I love the opportunity to see straight into my soul and hold nothing back. I strive to give that to someone(s) one day.

What does it look like to bare our souls for the benefit of those around us?

 To learn more about Jon Foreman, his music, upcoming shows, or to join his mailing list, visit jonforeman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment