I never really thought of it as a title I'd ever really wear, "housemate". And now it's a title I use often, and if I'm completely honest, a title I use with pride and joy. I imagine it's similar to when you get married, or enter into a romantic relationship, who you are is a part of who they are, so being able to say, "I'm their housemate" is pretty awesome.
These people have become my family away from my blood family. They make me laugh, they challenge me, and they extend grace and love at every morning, noon and night. I get to share coffee, cereal, and bedtime stories often, and I wouldn't trade that for the world.
Bryce, has taught me to live in the moment. To know that every second is to be spent playing and exploring, and asking questions as to why things are the way they are. And sometimes just realizing that we can't know the reasons. Bryce is incredibly creative and always challenges me to draw, paint, and get in touch with my inner artist. He allows me to try things and fail, yet he praises my efforts nonetheless, I love this boy.
Cody is my laid back fella who holds my hand often. I can usually count on him to do so. :)
His smile and hug in welcome on particularly long work days warm my heart like no bowl of chicken noodle soup ever could.
Cody is an incredible encourager. I noticed this when I first began to ride a bike (this is still a work in progress), and he looked at me and said, "You go super fast, Sol." I didn't think I was going 'super fast', but the fact that Cody was getting a kick out of it made me try. Cody reminds me to 'try' even when it's difficult and it doesn't feel like you're getting anywhere, you might just be going 'super fast'!
(Did I mention they both have adorable giggles?!)
Todd and Carrie bring me joy. They tease, challenge, affirm and show me what love in the everyday is. My personal doubts of conditional love constantly drop because of this pair. They daily remind me that trying is what's important, and despite fumbling and failure there is always grace. I see how they love each other, how they love their boys, and how they love me...and I am often blown away at how encompassing their love is.
Jesus continues to do a healing and affirming work in me through community. No, I might never have thought I'd be a housemate, but I'm glad that I am to these four.
May God continue to bless us as we serve, minister, and love those outside our home for His glory.
Amen.
All photos are from December 2010. (Personal favorites.)



No comments:
Post a Comment