As I've engaged with what I'm doing with my life...the lack of clarity, direction, and general awkwardness of the mid-twenties, I've learned that you've got to go for it. I've said 'yes' to some pretty ridiculous (read: amazingly incredible) things this year. Helping plan a city-wide conference, hiking an iconic dome, being part of neighborhood advocacy, initiating friendships...
The thing that usually stands in the way of participating in these events is fear. Sitting in my insecurities and focusing on what could go wrong...those voices speak loudly in order to avoid or pass on certain opportunities. Fear can be powerful and stealth, having the ability to motivate or paralyze.
The people I admire most in history are the ones who were fearless. John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jr., Mother Theresa, Cesar Chavez, Donald Miller have all had an element of fearlessness to them. Using a political position to promote change, speaking out against racial injustice, serving those seemingly untouchable, leading a group to promote justice in the workplace, and sharing story in a way that represents a generation. And even those who are not named in history books, but whom I rub elbows with in my community are fearless as they lead us in advocacy, evangelism, and intentionality.
The amazing thing about the folks I mentioned above, as well as the movers and shakers in my community is that they grapple with doubt, insecurity, and fear. They recognize their fear as an emotion and move past it, and perhaps, even allowing fear (the "what if I don't do this?") be part of seeing their dreams come true.
In the past year, I've begun to see fear as a friend. Fear reminds me that there's a lot on the line. And in it's own interesting way, points me to the fact that I'll regret saying 'no' if I walk away.
And as I've said 'yes', redemption, satisfaction and a greater sense of my calling have revealed themselves. Be fearless. There is an untapped part of your potential and adventurous self waiting for you on the other side. Let me know if you want some company.
No comments:
Post a Comment